Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Another one of those weird conversations happens to me today after six or seven long years. A friend of mine from my previous work-place happens to call me all of a sudden after a very long time. The conversation begins with the usual catching up on what has been happening in each other's lives. This friend had hinted his budding interest in me some years ago and I decided to nip it in the bud with discreet hints and we moved away from that subject after that forever. However, today's phone call seemed to be turning into that subject - He tells me that he had always been harbouring the urge to call me on the day when he had proved enough to me that he was serious in life and would make it big and today was it. Whoa! I could not even remotely sense that topic coming up. He had remarked at how confident and cool, yet polite I sounded in our conversation which was very different from my polite and demure self of those years. He mentioned that he had signed off a deal with my company and would be getting into some business contract. My intention was only to congratulate him and make it a catching up session whenever he would visit my office. But lo, this was so different than my wildest imaginations! :)

When the proving dialogue came up in the conversation, his cousin takes the phone from him and interjects into the call to confess that he was standing in the middle of a room with all these cousins around wherein he had told them to join him in the room to hear him talk to me. Little did I realise what was happening so far but I could sense what would come up. His cousin went on to say that my friend had always been mentioning about his impending day to call me and show how he had acheived something in life. Like I was someone very important to him and who mattered a lot to him but had not believed in him or his ideals. His cousins thought that this guy was a weirdo and I was a mere figment of his imagination. Even worse, the weirdo had made them leave all their important appointments aside and join him today. After a while, when I had overcome the reeling diversion, I interrupted the cousin and asked if the friend was high. I was right and then asked him to hand over the phone to my friend. I curtly responded saying that I was not understanding what was happening and he could call me back if he wanted to speak but only whenever he had sorted out this incident and was ready to catch up other than this subject. My friend meekly responded saying he would call back but I knew he might never be able to do that. It does not matter anymore unless he gets over his past-filled thoughts.

I liked the way I ended the conversation but I was disturbed that the past could come back and haunt, especially with such immaturity. I narrated this incident to to-be-Leopold and he guffawed so hard at my over-emotional friends and fan club. :D Felt good to see someone so grounded and neutral. :) That is what I love about him and sometimes it makes me want to wrench his neck when he tries to burst the bubble during our good times or his things-to-do.

Prithee, past better remain ONLY past. Present leads to the future and I seem to know where I want to go. God help me with good thoughts, good luck and positive strength to take life as it comes and also make it how I would like it to be.

No comments: